I am really feeling for the pain the artist P!nk endured in this video from her concert opening in Germany this summer. Not a fun place to be, beaten down emotionally and physically hurt.
She was able to pick herself up quickly tho, so that’s awesome. She shows true strength and drive, and her fan base probably grew bigger from the (un)wanted press, and she keeps goin’ on. Financially, she did fine too and has an even brighter future.
How about the major bruises that Google has endured the last few years?
It must hurt much more. Google owns the largest part of the search market share still and their Adwords advertising system creates massive revenues every hour, every day. But, they are struggling to catch up – and overtake, or seriously play in the social media marketplace in a way that Facebook is right now. Their history in search strong, but many products have failed.
Did you know that they had so many previous failed products, acquisitions and overall blunders? I think that Pinks fall may have saddened and pissed off (some) her fans and “users”. But, not as much as Google.
Yes, how about you and Google?
Here is a short list from SearchEngineLand recently.
- Google Wave (May 2009 – August 2010)
- Google SearchWiki (November 2008 – March 2010)
- Google Audio Ads (January 2006 – February 2009)
- Google Video (January 2005 – January 2009)
- Dodgeball (May 2005 – January 2009) *Separation and creation of Foursquare
- Jaiku (October 2007 – January 2009)
- Google Notebook (May 2006 – January 2009)
- Google Catalogs (December 2001 – January 2009)
- Google Print Ads (November 2006 – January 2009)
- Google Page Creator (April 2006 – August 2008)
- Google Answers (April 2002 – November 2006)
- Google “Lively” Virtual World (Closed November 2008)
- Google Nexus One (Closed May 2010)
The question is asked – which one is next? What do you think? (Google Buzz?)
Finally – has any of these products impacted you negatively? Have you been effected emotionally, physically, financially? I bet Pink didn’t use any of these products, and is a huge Apple fan…
I personally have not been affected, although I must say I was really impressed with the Scandinavian(!) team on Google Wave product. It was a product I thought would have more impact and win out the bad press.
- “Singer Pink Falls During Stunt at Nuremberg Concert” and related posts (citizentube.com)
- Pink rushed to hospital as stunt fails (reuters.com)
- Pink Receives Get-Well Wishes From Katy Perry, Perez Hilton After Onstage Fall (mtv.com)
get the weekly newsletter... it's FREE!
"Ultimate Guide" Series of SEO Books
For Entrepreneur Magazine.
About jon rognerud
Entrepreneur Magazine says Jon Rognerud is one of the most sought-after SEO and Digital Marketing Experts for Small Business. He is famous for his high-return and passionate approach to optimizing websites and integrated marketing solutions that brings process, profits and brand loyalty...without wasting time. His brand NEW website optimization book, "The Ultimate Guide to Optimizing Your Website" from Entrepreneur Press/McGraw-Hill is in bookstores now. Act fast, and get a free gift here. Jon on Google+. To receive future updates, Click HERE to subscribe to our mailing list