When we write ads for online bid systems like Adwords and Yahoo for example — we try to make the ad copy match user intent (relevancy), while supplying a benefit, an emotional pull, urgency, scarcity – all at the same time.
A quick example might be a local ad that says: “30% off brand new women’s Bucco shoes Fri-Sun only – while supplies last. Your Neighbor is Already Here.”
Of course, you need to study your competition, understand the user/searchers mind better – but the ad should create some immediate clicks.
When you do this right, it will not only make sense to readers, but it will build your business.
You can and should test with a variety of flavors of ads. Each marketplace is expected to have a “scent”, but you should try different ideas.
Here is a TOP TEN list of really funny ads that have been included in print across the country in recent times:
- FOR SALE BY OWNER: Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica. 45 volumes. Excellent condition. $1,000.00 or best offer. No longer needed. Got married last weekend. Wife knows everything.
- Help wanted, adult or mature teenager to baby-sit. One dollar an hour.
- Tired of working for only $9.75 per hour? We offer profit sharing and flexible hours. Starting pay: $7 — $9 per hour.
- Joining nudist colony! Must sell washer and dryer $300.
- Free Yorkshire Terrier: 8 years old. Hateful little dog.
- 1 man, 7 women hot tub. $850/offer.
- Tickle-Me-Elmo, still in box, comes with its own 1988 Ford Mustang, 5L, Auto, Excellent condition $6800.
- Three-year old teacher needed for pre-school. Experience preferred.
- Our sofa seats the whole mob and it’s made of 100% Italian leather.
- Man wanted to work in dynamite factory. Must be willing to travel.
Do you use humor in your advertisements?
How are you standing out – to make a difference for your clients and your business?
- Bing vs. Google: The Battle for Your Advertising Dollars (entrepreneur.com)
- Are Your Competitors Purposely Bidding On Your Brand? (searchengineland.com)
- Ten Wishes for the Yahoo & Microsoft Search Alliance (seerinteractive.com)
- 13 Online PPC Marketing Courses (searchenginejournal.com)