If you break down your workday (and really be honest about it) – you’ll probably find that only 1-3 hours are actually *really* productive hours.
Sure, you may be getting some seemingly important “insider” information at the water cooler, more during a long luncheon. And, you may feel like the networking on Facebook is helping you towards your own, and/or company goals. But, are you really that productive?
It’s about information and people, isn’t it? All this information gathering and research happens face-to-face, as well as on the web, for example.
One of the ways you can get more information quicker (it works!) is to read faster. In general, moving faster will help you.
How can you speed read a web page, for example? Here’s a power tip you can use.
This tool from TopicMarks can power your electronic reading. It may just be what the doctor ordered.
(Figure 1 – Snapshot of keywords cloud for SearchEngineLand)
Topicmarks enables you to quickly explore and get the contents of electronic texts, without having to read them extensively.
It may not work as well on a blog that is refreshed daily for certain tabs (Overview, Facts, Summary, Keywords, Index, Properties) – but it’s “electronic” text that is made smarter by organizing it in chunks.
Here are some of the features (from the website):
Text can be retrieved and organized in several different ways:
- Upload a file from your computer
- Enter a URL to download from the web
- Copy/paste text
- Send in a file by email
- ** You can send in texts in many formats:
- Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) (embedded text, not graphics)
- Word (.doc)
- HyperText (.html)
- Text (.txt)
- ** You can explore the Text Knodes in many perspectives:
- Fact listings
- Keywords (tag cloud)
- ** You can interact with the chosen perspective in many ways:
- Click on a word or sentence to dig deeper
- Restrict listed content to a search term
- Lengthen or shorten the text of a summary
- Filter the index by starting letter
- [soon] Answer quiz questions about the text
Related articles for Productivity and Information Gathering
- Semantic Text Startup Reads and Summarizes Documents for You (mashable.com)
- Tip: Browse the Web faster with Google Chrome Instant [Video] (thenextweb.com)
- Working From Home: A Survivor’s Guide (mint.com)